Monday, March 15, 2010

Speaking Penguin?

"Can you speak some of that penguin?"
It's one of the funniest questions that was ever asked of me.
I think my response was, "WHAT THE HELL?!"
What my friend was asking, was if I could speak pidgin (in reference to being born and raised in Hawai'i).
This has since become an inside joke with us.

Now days...
I think to myself, "It's been a long time since I've moved away from the island where I was born and raised. And I have experienced SO many things in the world."
I still do speak pidgin, but my mouth and heart have learned SO many other languages through the food and culture of many friends and loved ones that I have been blessed to bond with over the years since I had moved away from the Melting Pot of the Pacific to the Melting Pot of the Bay Area.
I've come to the conclusion that the pidgin that I once spoke had transformed into another dialect.
For now,I'm calling it Penguin.
And so, this Penguin's journey continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment